Before we entered the main dining room, we had the 2010 Violinist ($25). This wine is made from the Verdehlo grape. This grape is normally used in Portugal and associated with the island of Madeira. The grape also grows well in Australia. This vintage was given 90 points by Wine Advocate. This is Mollydooker's only white wine and it was amazing. I just thought it was refreshing, light, and lovely.
Next, we entered the main room for dinner and a wine blending seminar. The event started with a talk by Sparky Marquis and his mother. They discussed the history of Mollydooker wines and how to do the Mollydooker shake. This shake is for people to use so that Mollydooker wines can drink well when opened at a young age. This shake is not meant for the The Violinist, The Sparkling Shiraz, or for wines older than 2 years old. The shake releases nitrogen gas which is stored in the wine to protect it from oxygen so the amount of sulphites in the wine is reduced. The nitrogen tends to flatten the fruit flavor of young wines. Shaking the wine releases the nitrogen. You can watch the video HERE to see how to properly execute the Mollydooker shake.
We had a blending seminar before dinner. We blended the Boxer (Shiraz), Maitre D (Cabernet), and the Scooter(Merlot). Sparky explained that this is how he creates the Two Left Feet wine. This wine is a blend of the Shiraz, Cabernet and Merlot. He tweaks the blend of this wine each year. This was a fun experience where we had a beaker and tried to create the best "Two Left Feet" wine at the table.
|Wines that we tried to blend|
|Filet that paired with Mollydooker wines|
|Sparky holding the Velvet Glove|
|creme brûlée dessert|
- 2010 The Maitre D $25 -- Cabernet Sauvignon (90 points by Wine Advocate, WA)
- 2010 The Two Left Feet $25 -- Merlot, Shiraz, Cabernet Blend (90 points by WA and Wine Spectator, WS)
- 2010 The Scooter $25 -- Merlot (90 points by WA)
- 2010 The Boxer $25 -- Shiraz (91 points by WA)
- 2010 Miss Molly $25 -- Sparkling Shiraz. This wine is the girlfriend of The Boxer.
- 2010 Gigglepot $49-- Cabernet Sauvignon. (92 points WA, 91 points WS)
- 2010 Blue Eyed Boy $49 -- Shiraz. (93 p0ints WA, 91 points WS)
- 2010 Enchanted Path $90 -- Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon. (94 points WA, 93 points WS)
- 2010 Carnival of Love $90 -- Shiraz. (95 points WA, 94 points WS)
- 2010 Velvet Glove $185 -- Shiraz. ( 97 points WA, 96 points WS)