Saturday, January 15, 2011

Butting Heads Shiraz


Last night I had a bit of the 2005 Butting Heads Shiraz from Barossa Valley in Australia. My mom bought the bottle and shared it with me. In Florida I have seen it sold for around $23-$26. The Wine Barn in Orlando says its retail price is supposed to be around $65.00. Fewer than 200 cases of this wine was produced. I do get a lot of spice and espresso from this wine. I like it for the price. I don't think I would pay $65 for this, but at around $25-$30 it is a great buy.

Robert Parker gave this wine 90 plus points saying:
"Butting Heads is a negociant label owned by importer Jane Delaney. Her first Barossa Shiraz, sourced from a single vineyard at Krondorf, is a success. The 2005 Shiraz is opaque purple/black. It has a fragrant bouquet of pain grille, spice box, espresso, pepper, and blueberry. This is followed by a full-bodied, dense, structured wine with excellent concentration. At present the wine is monolithic, but 5-6 years in the cellar may result in additional complexity. It will drink well through 2025."

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to be on the lookout for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Shiraz a lot. I wonder if they have this in Pitt. I'll have to check this weekend.

    ReplyDelete